Google and Yahoo’s New Rules for Senders, effective February 1, 2024

Important Alert

Google and Yahoo’s New Rules for Senders, effective February 1, 2024

What’s changed?

New rules have been implemented by Google and Yahoo to protect against spam, phishing, and spoofing for senders to these addresses. This may affect you, if you are sending to users of those email services.

How can I prevent this problem?

To ensure that your emails make it to your intended recipients for these companies (and most companies), you should do the following:

• Make sure you’re using the MailRoute Outbound Relay Service that’s included with your account.
  • SPF and DKIM need to be configured. Ensure your domain is properly authenticated.
  • We highly recommend implementing a DMARC policy, even if set to "none”.

What will happen to my mail if I don’t meet the requirements?
If you do not meet the sending criteria, your emails may be sent to the recipient’s spam folder or rejected. If mail is rejected, we will return a specific error code with information about the rejection.

What exactly do I need to do?

1. Make sure you’re using the MailRoute Outbound Relay Service.
    Here are articles on how to configure your mail server to relay email through MailRoute: Configuring Outbound Services on MailRoute

2. Configure your SPF, DKIM, and DMARC records.
    An article for each of these is housed at support.mailroute.net.

3. Verify your configuration.
    After you make the changes to your DNS for SPF, DKIM, and DMARC, you can visit the Diagnostics menu for your domain in the MailRoute Control Panel. Login to the Control Panel with your admin account, select your domain, and click Diagnostics on the menu on the left.

You can also send an email to check@mailroute.net and we will send an email back to you with a review of those settings.

(Note: DNS changes can take some time to propagate.)

More details

To view Google and Yahoo’s documentation of the new rules, please see here: