Router Security | Defensive Computing Checklist

See my new website: DefensiveComputingChecklist.com

This site focuses on the security of routers. Period. If you are interested in faster WiFi, look elsewhere. And, to be clear, this site is about ROUTER security, not ROUTING security. There is nothing here about MANRS (Mutually Agreed Norms for Routing Security).

Sections of this page
Why Router Security
Secure Router Configuration - the SHORT list
Secure Router Configuration - the FULL list
Final Steps
Some Additional Thoughts
Ongoing Care and Feeding and Defense
Picking a Secure Router
Conference Presentations

Why Router Security

Why devote an entire site to router security?

I used to be like you. That is, I would buy a router, it would work fine and I would ignore it for years. However, after some huge router flaws, affecting millions of routers, caught my attention, I started following the topic more closely. As a Defensive Computing guy, I eventually realized that I needed to upgrade my own router security and get more up to speed on the topic. After all, if a router gets infected with malware, or re-configured in a malicious way, most people would never know. There is no anti-virus software for routers.

I am not alone in pointing out the sad state of router software/firmware.

Router security may be a dull and boring topic, but it’s important. For proof, see what can happen if your router gets hacked.

For the latest on routers, see the Routers in the news page.

Non-techies can start at the Introduction to Routers page, which discusses what a router is conceptually, then describes the hardware and the many ways to communicate with a router.

This site has NO ADS. If you see ads, either your browser, computer or router is infected with adware. It also does not use Google Analytics or any third party analytics. In fact, it doesn’t use any third part scripts/software of any kind. The search feature uses DuckDuckGo, but does not load any scripts.